Modified Sunny Top (Dress) - Sewing pattern from Friday Pattern Company - A failed project


It's been two years since the Sunny Dress / Top sewing pattern from Friday Pattern Company was featured on Project Sew My Style. It's been one year since I posted about my first make of this pattern, which was quite the rant. Time to close this case.

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy back view alt fashion swayback bad fit fake leather velvet

Before writing this I took another look at Friday Pattern Company, the pattern itself, my old post as well as this make. Since I learned pattern drafting now and have more experience, I thought maybe I misjudged the situation. I did not. My pattern version (before the update) has symmetrical sleeves and front/back bodice and I just hope they changed that in their update. The modeled photos still have fit issues and it still costs $12. Finding out which size you need is as difficult as it can be. The size range is only XS-XXL - this information is fresh from their website as per February 2020.

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy

Ok, this shall not become rant #2. So, forget the designer.
Why on earth did I choose to use this pattern to copy a popular t-shirt style?? I could have used the Green Tee, which I quite liked. Or try out another pattern, that would have been no problem as well. But no, I thought it would be a good idea to make another Sunny, even though I knew the fit of my first one was really bad.

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy front view fashion outfit black alternative

Sorry, yes, apparently it is another rant. Live with it.
So, what did I do: I separated the pattern pieces at a quite random point between my apex and the neckline, where the armhole is less curved, and where I thought it would look good. I did that with both the front and back pattern piece, not that this would differ at all (the neckline is the only difference). I ignored the obvious fit problems my first make had: the shoulders were horrible overall, it needed more fabric at the bust and back bottom, less fabric at the upper back and back waist, and a proper curved armhole. At least.

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy fabric detail microfiber velvet fake leather polyester

The lower / main part is made from a standard, very stretchy polyester velvet. It's soft and smooth, very warm and does not breathe at all. The upper part - please take a seat before reading this - is made out of a sturdy, non-stretch microfiber compound with fake leather optics. This fabric most likely is designed for bags, not clothing. Best case something for outside like a thick coat. It is not at all suited for a shirt. But hey, one point for me, I actually thought about wether this will fit over my head or not! Hooray!

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy bad fit issues front view full bust

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy bad fit issues side view swayback neck bust

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy back view bad fit issues small back swayback

Obviously, as you can see, the fit is really bad. It's worse than my first one. This is one of my top failed sewing projects. It not only looks bad, it's also uncomfortable to wear - so I can't even use it as homewear. I have yet to decide what to make with it - I will most like cut it up and use the fabric pieces for something else. I'm pretty sure I will not try to get this top to fit me. It has been sitting in my wardrobe for almost two years now and I couldn't care less about it. 

I know other sewists have failed projects as well - but most rarely show that stuff. Though there's even those hashtags, which people on instagram love to use to show their photos, which are supposed to show real-life scenarios, but are in fact as fake as most stuff there. But I get it, I know how hard it is to admit failures. This one is such a big fail (for me), it's almost funny. No, actually, it is funny. And interesting. So interesting, as there's so much to learn! I'm gonna put this one on my topic collection for future posts / videos: Failed projects / Fabrics not to use for tops / What not to do with a sewing pattern you don't like / etc. I'm pretty sure I have enough stuff from my own fails, but if you want to contribute, hit me up, haha!

minn's things sewing friday pattern company sunny dress top modified diy pinterest

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I have had many sewing failures. The most recent was another attempt at a Colette Laurel. I tried everything, but the muslin turned out unwearable. It is frustrating to spend so much time working on fit to have the thing not work, but I guess every failure is an opportunity to learn. I love the idea of sharing the garments that did not work—it can be so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard mixed feelings about Colette patterns in facebook groups, but never tried on of them myself. Totally agree on how frustrating that is!!
      That is exactly why I think sharing failures is so important - not to badmouth a designer, but to show others what problems they might encounter too. But such posts need certain caution, as words can so easily be understood more rude/disrespectful than intended.

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig